All deaths that occur in the Town of Nunda are filed with the Town Clerk and our death records go back to 1885. A certified copy of a death certificate is only available to an applicant eligible to receive it.
A certified copy or a certified transcript of a death certificate may be issued only:
- To the spouse, parent, sibling or child of the deceased
- To the lawful representative of the spouse, parent or child of the deceased
- To a person with a New York State Court Order issued on a showing of necessity for the confidential medical information
- By a municipal, state or federal agency specifically requesting the confidential medical information for official purposes
- To a person requiring the record for a documented legal right or claim
- For Genealogy research
If you meet one of the listed requirements from above, you must bring one of the following proofs of identification with you to the Town Clerk’s Office, along with your completed application for a copy of the death certificate:
- A driver's license
- State issued non-driver's license identification card
- Military identification card
The cost for a certified copy is $10.00 (Cash or Check payable to: Nunda Town Clerk)
Applications are available from the Town Clerk's office or by filling out this form.
Please be aware that according to New York State Department of Health Law, Death Certificates and the indexes related to death certificates are NOT subject to the provisions of the Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) and are NOT open to public inspection.